Over the last a couple of weeks I started reviewing an automated restore solution I had been playing around with for a couple years. RedGate SQL Backup had thrown some errors and since we couldn’t go without backups while waiting on RedGate support we decided to move ALL backup operations to Ola Hallengren’s scripts. We also decided to ditch RedGate because they sent us back a list of reported bugs we had submitted and told us they aren’t going to fix it. So in other words “despite the fact that you have multiple licenses of multiple softwares across many servers, we feel your issues as a customer aren’t important to us as a software company.” With that we decided to roll our own solutions that we can customize for our environment…
Reviewing my most recent posts, I realized that I begin my posts with “So…”.
So…, I’d like to try and stop that.
Where have I been since August 11th 2015? Apparently not being active in the SQL community where clearly I wasn’t missed :D. Really though, I ended up taking on quite a bit of side work. When I wasn’t moonlighting or spending time with my family, I devoted whatever free time that I had towards creating music and learning synthesis.
So once again I missed my post goal. I think at this point I’m no longer going to hold myself to it, since clearly real life has a way of getting in the…way. I ended up getting more gigs and needing to work on music, as well as a huge surge in my consulting business. So needless to say, although I am saying it, I wanted to post but I didn’t.
Greetings humans. This is the second time I’m writing this post because of some wordpress trickery, so pardon me if I make it short. I’m still finishing up part 2 of my first Simple Talk article, while making sure I’m ready for two more presentations, all while making sure I’m ready for a musical performance May 1st. So things are a little busy 🙂
IKR! Feels like I haven’t been posting since, forever, not really…more like a couple months.
So I’ve been working on a project to bring monitoring awesomeness to various SQL servers, without purchasing more RedGate SQL Monitor licenses and hopefully, without purchasing anything at all. Part of this project requires ODBC connections (at least it has in the testing so far), and during the testing I ran into a snag with the ODBC driver so I thought I would throw up a post in case anyone else runs into the same problem.
Along with my research into Cassandra, I’ve also been taking the M102 and M202 courses offered at MongoDB University. While going through some of the assignments I thought it would be cool to keep a repository of any scripts that have helped me get things up and running as quickly as possible.
So while I’ve been doing research into the use of NoSQL platforms to augment or improve our infrastructure, I’ve had to create many…MANY Cassandra clusters. These are all testing and dev level clusters but regardless of their deployment level, the act can become very tedious. Because I’m a firm believer in repeatable builds I put together this helper script.
We had what I thought was a completely grueling homework question in M202. One person finished it very quickly and labeled the rest of us “a braindead” for not being able to do so (great encouragement right…and yes that was the grammar he used). The majority of the students seemed to have a problem with it, as I did. To be fair to the assignment, they did throw us a link to the following StackOverflow link. This is probably where those of us who are braindead failed the test.